The SMC (Sheet Moulding Compound) is a compound based on a thermostable resin matrix, with mineral fillers, and reinforced by fibres.
SMC is moulded in hot compression processes for the production of parts. SMC moulding compounds allow very specific advantages compared to alternative materials.
- Reduction in the weight of the piece
- Freedom of design (colors and formulation)
- High functional integration and complex shapesHigh strength and rigidity, presenting a better resistance-weight ratio than that of many metallic materials
- Coefficient of thermal expansion similar to that of metals
- Resistance to corrosion
- Low tendency to creep
- Maximum precision in molding
- Dimensional stability. Reduced shrinkage, even null.
- Class A surface finish
- Possibility of post-pressing painting
- Possibility of direct painting on the mold
- High temperature in service
- Resistance to fire and low smoke emission
- Electrical insulation or conductivity
- Low investment
- Good value for money